We have an amazing music program at Messiah. Our groups are always ready to embrace new members. Contact Jessica Irish for additional information.
Adult Choir (Directed by Jessica Irish)
- Chancel Choir – Rehearses on Thursdays from 7:30 – 9 pm in the Sanctuary. The Chancel Choir regularly sings at the 9:30 and 11:00 am worship services on Sundays. No musical experience is necessary. Childcare provided upon request.
- Women’s Chorus -Meets 1 – 2 times per month on Thursday from 6:45-7:30 pm (prior to Chancel Choir rehearsal) from September-May. No musical experience necessary. Childcare provided upon request.
- Men’s Chorus -Meets 1 – 2 times per month on Thursday from 6:45-7:30 pm (prior to Chancel Choir rehearsal) from September-May. No musical experience necessary. Childcare provided upon request.
- Adult Choir – Thursdays from 7:30 – 9 pm in the Sanctuary, The Adult Choir sings at the 9:30 and 11:00 am worship services on Sundays. No musical experience is necessary. Childcare provided upon request.
- Joyful Noise -Rehearses on Sundays from 7:45 – 8:15 am from September – May. This pickup choir rehearses and then sings an anthem each Sunday at the 8:15 am worship service. This is a great way to participate in choir if you cannot commit to a rehearsal during the week.
Children’s Choir (Directed by Christine Connor)
- Cherub Choir – (ages 3-Kindergarten) – Meets on Sundays from 9:40 – 10 am from September-May. The children play games, sing songs, and enjoy the gift of music that God has given. This group rehearses during the Sunday School hour and combines with the Carol Choir to sing in church several times throughout the year.
- Carol Choir – (Grades 1-2) – Meets on Sundays from 10:10 – 10:30 am from September-May. Children enjoy learning to sing by playing pitch and rhythm games and singing age-appropriate songs. This group rehearses during the Sunday School hour and combines with the Cherub Choir to sing in church several times throughout the year.
- Good News Singers – (Grades 3-6) – Meets on Sundays from 10:30-11:00 am and Wednesdays from 6:30-7:00 pm from September-May. Children are welcome to attend either rehearsal time, or even both! The choir performs in church several times throughout the year and their weekly instruction includes singing, music literacy activities, and the opportunity to play Orff instruments.
Handbells (Directed by Rachel Elliff)
- Jubilation Ringers – Meets on Sundays from 5-6:15 pm in the choir room from September-May. This group consists of intermediate/advanced adult ringers and performs in church every 6-8 weeks. They also perform outreach concerts and participate in a handbell festival in November. Childcare provided upon request
- Chancel Ringers – Meets on Sundays from 6:15-7:15 pm in the choir room from September-May. This group is for beginning to intermediate adult ringers. They play in the worship service every 8-10 weeks, and perform outreach concerts in the local community. New/inexperienced ringers are welcome – come give handbells a try! Childcare provided upon request.
- Alleluia Ringers – (Grades 7-12) – Meets on Sundays from 12:15 – 1:15 pm in the choir room from September-May. This group of intermediate/advanced youth ringers performs in church every 6-8 weeks, and participates in a youth handbell festival each February. New ringers are always welcome, but music reading skills are required. Lunch is provided at noon for participants.
- Heavy Metal Ringers – (Grades 4-6) – Meets on Wednesdays from 7:00-7:30 pm in the choir room from September-May. This group is open to both beginning and experienced ringers. No previous ringing experience is required, but children need to know how to read music. This group also performs regularly during the worship service.
Other Music Opportunities
- Messiah Orchestra – Direct3ed by Rachel Elliff, the orchestra rehearses on Saturdays twice a month from 9 – 10:30 am in the sanctuary, prior to performing in church. The orchestra plays hymns, sacred and secular orchestral works, and accompanies choir anthems in Sunday services every other month. Adults and youth in grades 7 – 12 who play an instrument are invited to participate.
- Liturgical Dance – Pia Diggs leads two liturgical dance groups at Messiah. The Unity dance group is for adults and youth in grade 7-12 and meets in the sanctuary on Sundays from 3 – 4 pm, September through May. Praise in Motion is a dance group for children in grades 2-6 and meets on Wednesdays from 5 – 5:45 pm. Participants express the joy of the Lord through movement, refine their rhythmic skills and stage presence, and learn choreography. Both groups are open to beginning and experienced dancers, and perform in church every 6-8 weeks.
- Youth Praise Band – (Grades 7-12) – Led by Dan Riggs, the youth praise band rehearses on Sundays from 8 – 9: 30 am in the Youth Center. Members learn contemporary Christian music to present in worship or other church events. Extensive experience is not necessary, only a willingness to learn, attend regularly, and practice on your own.
- Youth Vocal Ensemble (Grades 7-12) – Jessica Irish leads this group, which rehearses on Sundays from 4 – 5 pm in the choir room from September – May. Participants enjoy singing a variety of styles of vocal music in a relaxed atmosphere. This group performs in both traditional and non-traditional Sunday worship services (during the 11 AM hour only) about every 6 weeks.