Our Women’s Ministry serves all women of Messiah. There are opportunities for spiritual growth through retreats and through various programs designed to attract women of all ages. Weekend retreats are held off-site and one- and two-day events are held at the church. Bible studies are available throughout the year during the day and in the evening. Crafts, game nights, and service projects, under the heading of Girlfriends, give an outlet to the creative aspect of our women and teens.
The Women’s Ministry is a vital part of Messiah. Activities are planned with every age and situation in mind and an offering for our church missions is collected at each major event. All women are encouraged to participate and find those things that are meaningful to them.
We Seek to:
- Support women as they strive to live a Christ-centered life.
- Foster relationships between women of all ages.
- Nurture spiritual growth by supporting women wherever they are on their faith journey.
- Provide a variety of Christian fellowship activities.
- Offer education and resources on women’s activities.
- Present exciting opportunities to “Serve God by Serving Others.”
All women are encouraged to deepen their faith by attending one or more Bible studies that are offered during the course of the year.
EnrichHer Bible Study
EnrichHER is a cross-generational group of dynamic women who join in fellowship and study with the goal of deepening their relationship with Christ as well as with each other. This group provides several opportunities to meet and connect with other women face-to-face as well as an online study option for those with restrictive schedules. For more information, please visit our EnrichHER page.
Come gather with some other Moms and Dads for support and encouragement and discuss the joys and challenges of parenting. Parenting with Christ in Mind class meets on Sunday mornings at 9:30 am during the school year. Childcare is available.
What is a G-Group? These are smaller shared-interest groups women can join at any time. These are groups that might meet weekly or monthly, created by any woman who desires to get together with other women who share a common interest. So far these include walking, scrapbooking/faithbooking, photo organization, card stamping for the military, gratitude lunch & movie, dining internationally locally, fleece, and photo organizing.
Prayers and Squares
A unique quilting group that involves both quilters and non-quilters. This group works together to sew quilts for those in our congregation who are in need of a little extra Christian warmth. They then make the quilts available to the entire congregation to finish by offering prayers for the receiver as they help tie off the threads of the quilts.
Women’s Book Club
Every first Thursday of the month at 7:00 pm we read and discuss a new book. The books are chosen to enhance your spiritual growth as you discuss and share thoughts. Contact Margie O’Brien for more information.
Our 2019-2020 Book Schedule:
- SEPTEMBER: “Pompeii” by Robert Harris
- OCTOBER: “Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI” by David Grann
- NOVEMBER: “Kingdom of the Blind” by Louise Penny
- DECEMBER: Outing
- JANUARY: “Washington Black” by Esi Edugayan
- FEBRUARY: “Educated” by Tara Westover
- MARCH: “Girl Sleuth, Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her” by Melanie Rehab
- APRIL: “Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible and what He Wants to do with You” by John MacArthur
- MAY: “Breakfast with Buddha” by Roland Meerullo
- JUNE: Vote on Book Selections
- JULY: Free Choice
- AUGUST: “The Murder at the Vicarage” by Agatha Christie
On the third Tuesday of each month, women gather at a local restaurant for fellowship. This is a great way to meet other women at the church. We meet in the parking lot around 11:25 am to carpool to that month’s destination. Look in the weekly bulletins to see where we are going. Contact Jane Philips for more information.
Plan to get away from the demands of home and concentrate on God and priorities in life with either a weekend away or an “in-house” event.
Special events provide a time to share a meal and the fellowship of other women. During Lent, we offer a Prayer Breakfast featuring a Christian speaker. The breakfast is a potluck so there is no charge, and a free-will offering is taken for one of the Youth Mission trips. We have an End of the Year Dinner in June that features a Christian speaker.
We encourage everyone to be part of a small group. It’s a wonderful way to grow closer to God, others, and learn more about yourself!
- Women’s Bible Study – Tuesdays from 1 – 3 pm in the church library, September through June. Contact Cheryl Robarge, 703.339.8359 for more information.
- Mary Circle – 2nd Tuesday of each month at 8:30 am in members’ homes September through June. Contact Jane Childs for more information.
- Yahweh Sisterhood – Thursdays from 12:30 – 2 pm in Room 261 September through June. Contact Jane Crittenden for more information.